Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Top 10 23-09-10

Idiot Wind, Bob Dylan, The Bootleg Series, Vol. 1-3
One of the few songs I can play right through. We played this song once and it was consigned to the ‘It’s too long ‘ rack. I beg to disagree.

Nebraska, Bruce Springsteen, Nebraska
I love this album. I also love the way Bruce brings out this exercise in acoustic darkness when Columbia must have been screaming for Darkness on the Edge of Town Vol 2. There’s not a song on this album that couldn’t be on this list.

My fathers house, Emmylou Harris, 13
I could have put Bruce’s version, but I love the bagpipes in this version. Another song I’d love to do. What a wrist slitter of a gig that would be.

A Thousand Kisses Deep, Leonard Cohen, dear Heather
I heard this in the Good Thief and just loved it. Goes perfectly with Nick Nolte’s wrinkled face.

Death's Got A Warrant, Patty Griffin, Downtown Church
From the Buddy Miller school of greatness. Something about this song reminds me of Johnny Cash singing God’s gonna cut you down.

Save Some Time To Dream, John Mellencamp, No Better Than This
John Mellencamp hardly gets heard of any more. But he’s making some sweet music.

Burning Hell, Tom Jones, Praise & Blame
Heard this on triple R and had to put it on for the voice, the riff and the fact that it’s a John Lee Hooker song done well.

Thing Called Love (Umplugged), Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne & Springsteen
Just a great song that always makes it on the list. Actually I wouldn’t mind doing this either which would dull the depression of what preceded it.

Save the Last Dance for Me, John Lennon/Harry Nilson, Pussycats
My memory tells me this is a great album wish I could find the version of many rivers to cross.

Tell It Like It Is, Aaron Neville, Tell It Like It Is
They played this in The Big Easy, Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin. ‘Nuff said.

Week one done.

No comments:

Post a Comment